Empowering our Community Through Life Skills Education
What is Life Skills Education?
Education outcomes that include a combination of knowledge, values, attitudes and skills with emphasis on skills related to critical thinking, problem solving, self-management, communication and inter-personal skills
How does Life Skills Education benefit our community?
- Helps individuals behave responsibly and lead healthy lives
- Builds self confidence, self-esteem, self worth
- Develops positive attitudes
- Promotes a state of mental well being
- Promotes risk free behavior
- Helps in effective communication
How will the JLSF support Life Skills Education in our community?
- Identify the opportunities to educate underserved members of the community
- Align our community program, grant making, and Done-in-a-Day efforts to address the needs of these individuals
2013-14 and Beyond
Current efforts: 2013-14 Community Programs
- San Francisco Child Abuse & Prevention Center – support of Family FUNdamentals
- Raphael House – Saturday morning tutoring; opportunity to expand program to include job preparedness training
- SMART – College Access Program and Middle School Mentoring Program
- La Cocina – Mentoring of entrepreneurs in business skills and computer literacy
- Pomeroy Recreation & Rehabilitation Center – Direct volunteering in respite care program
- Ideas and opportunities for the future support of Life Skills Education
- Partnerships with groups that help develop self esteem, health, nutrition awareness
- Volunteering with non-profits that offer after school programs, mentoring or tutoring for girls
- Advocacy can investigate ways for the JLSF to lobby for more family friendly legislation related to housing, social services, etc.
- Collaborate with family support organizations to develop a comprehensive directory; serve as a point of reference for family services in the community
- Create a new Kids in the Kitchen program and provide nutritional cooking lessons to children of single parent households providing them with essential survival skills